Award – $500
At Drum Major Empowerment, our motto is “Persistence Plus Consistency Equals Success”. We aim to support your academic success through the Drum Major Instinct Scholarship Award.
About The Scholarship:
On February 4, 1968, exactly two months before Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination, he delivered “The Drum Major Instinct” sermon in Atlanta, Georgia. In this message, he described being a Drum Major, or leader, for positive change. Our goal is to provide support as you further your education and make a positive difference in the world. Three (3) $500 scholarships will be awarded to first-time-in-college (FTIC) students attending an accredited post-secondary institution for the Summer or Fall of 2023.
1) Be a graduating senior attending a high school in Broward, Miami-Dade, or Palm Beach county.
2) Provide proof of admission to an accredited university, college, or vocational training program for the Summer or Fall 2023 semester.
3) Provide proof of high school extracurricular involvement.
4) Submit a signed letter of recommendation.
4) Application, including essay, must be submitted by April 4, 2023.
How to Apply
To be considered for the Drum Major Instinct Scholarship Award, you must complete the form below and provide a response to the following question (maximum of 500 words).
How will you use your education and experience participating in extracurricular activities to be a leader for positive change?
Submissions will be accepted from 8:00 a.m. ET on February 4, 2023, until 11:59 p.m., ET, on April 4, 2023.
- Awardees will be announced at Sound Check Be Heard in April 2023.
- Applicants will be reviewed and selected by the DME Scholarship committee based on eligibility criteria.
- Not all applicants will receive a scholarship.
- Scholarships are a 1-time award.
- Awardees will be notified by email when the funds have been dispersed to the institution.